SEPANG, Oct 21 (Bernama) — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has given the assurance of continued government support for the hosting of the Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix.
“With the Malaysian Grand Prix entering its 13th year in Sepang, I would like to reiterate the Malaysian government’s commitment to continue supporting this event while offering all the necessary in continuing to make it a success.
“The extension of the Malaysian MotoGP until 2013 has been greeted with enthusiasm from all parties but we cannot rest on our laurels. We have to maintain our high standards as one of the best hosts in the MotoGP calendar,” Najib said in the event’s official programme book.
He said the Sepang International Circuit (SIC), Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM) and Youth and Sports Ministry should join hands in making sure that Malaysia remains one of the venues in the MotoGP calendar.
“There are many benefits from Malaysia’s involvement in this premier motorcycling world championship,” he said.
After Formula One, MotoGP is the country’s second biggest international sporting event with a staggering 2.3 million spectators in attendance watching the race live around the world.
A record 105,000 visitors attended the event last year in Sepang, 30 per cent of them coming from neighbouring countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and Australia.
Najib noted that the participation of four Malaysian riders would certainly excites fans who, he said, would support their local heroes.
“This will be indeed be a historic day for Malaysia as it would mean the biggest Malaysian participation in the world championships since its inception in 1949.
“It is my sincere hope that someday a Malaysian rider will shine in the biggest stage of all, the MotoGP premier class,” he said.
Source : Bernama