News_archive

PM expresses horror over Norway ‘catastrophe’

By Sunday July 24th, 2011 No Comments

KANGAR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has joined other world leaders in expressing horror over the deadly attacks in Norway, which have so far claimed 91 lives.

He said the incident, which mostly claimed the lives of youths, was a catastrophe, even as the motive for the horrific attacks was still being investigated.

“What happened was certainly unexpected and not only shocked Norway but other nations, too,” he said.

“It is a cause for concern when there are people who act extraordinarily violent.”

The twin attacks hit the northern European country – more known for its scenic fjords and mountains – via a mid-afternoon bomb blast in the capital near government offices followed by the massacre of youths at an island south of the city moments later.

A gunman dressed in police uniform had opened fire at a youth camp of Norway’s ruling political party in Utoeya, killing 85 people.

Authorities have since arrested a 32-year-old Norwegian in connection with both attacks.

In condemning the attacks, Wisma Putra said no Malaysian was reported to be among the victims in the two incidents.

“The Malaysian government conveys its deepest condolences to Norway and the families of the victims for their loss,” it said.

Malaysia, it added, was also deeply shocked and saddened that both attacks were deliberately directed at civilian targets and hoped those responsible would be brought to justice soon.

Source : The Star

Leave a Reply