News_archive

PM cuts short holiday

By Saturday July 23rd, 2011 No Comments

SEPANG: Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said he decided to cancel his holiday abroad to concentrate on his meet-the-people sessions with Malaysians.

“The ministers and I have to meet the people. We have to tell them that they can depend on the Barisan Nasional government and that the Barisan is their best choice,” the Prime Minister said in his address to about 3,000 people who welcomed him at KL International Airport after returning from an eight-day visit to Turkmenistan, the United Kingdom and Italy.

Najib was also greeted with a banner carrying the signatures of about 1.2 million Malaysians expressing their support for his leadership.

The signature campaign was initiated by the Malaysian Indian Muslim Congress (Kimma).

On Bersih 2.0, Najib said the group’s organisers had insisted on using Stadium Merdeka for their rally on July 9 although their request was turned down by the police due to security concerns, while their application was also rejected by the stadium management.

The organisers deliberately insisted on seeking to use the venue because they wanted to march on the streets, he added.

“They (Bersih) are trying to seize power through mass rallies. It is not about election reform,” he added.

Najib also hit out at the Opposition for claiming that the general election had not been conducted fairly.

“Every day the Opposition conducted campaigns. Is that still unfair?” he asked.

Najib said the people wanted a responsible government that placed the people’s interest above others.

“We need to maintain public order while giving the people space for freedom of expression.

“There is room for dissent in Malaysia, but a responsible government will not allow chaos.”

Meanwhile, the police warned that action would be taken against those planning to take part in a Bersih gathering today.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said that the authorities were aware of plans to hold gatherings in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Perak.

Citing that no permit was given for the gatherings, he said the police needed to ensure that public peace was maintained.

On allegations by PAS deputy president Mohamed Sabu that he was actually hit by a police vehicle during the Bersih rally on July 9, Ismail said Mohamed had lodged a report earlier this month and the police was investigating the matter.

A video footage released by the police showed Mohamed’s motorcycle hitting a road curb before he fell.

Source : The Star

Leave a Reply