THE HONOURABLE PRIME MINISTER’S
DATO’ SRI MOHD NAJIB TUN ABDUL RAZAK ADDRESS
IN CONJUNCTION WITH MAAL HIJRAH 1431H/2009
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,
Salam Sejahtera and Salam 1 Malaysia,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. Praise Allah SWT as with His divine aid we are able to celebrate Maal Hijrah 1431H this year with humility, simplicity and full of blessings. This celebration bears great significance in commemorating the struggles and proliferation of Islamic civilisation from the time of Rasulullah (PBUH) to this day. The historic migration of Rasulullah (PBUH) from Mecca to Madinah was a strategy derived through a creative and innovative thought process by nurturing a tradition of knowledge and piety to Allah SWT.
2. Aptly, the theme for Maal Hijrah this year is ‘Bolstering Kinship, Strengthening Ummah’. A progressive and developed nation needs an ummah with great potential and a strong unwavering sense of self. A Khaira Ummah (Good Ummah) is assimilated through a kinship or ukhuwwah based upon the values of a heightened civilization. It is necessary to practice the concept of wasatiyah or ‘moderation’ in spiritual and physical development in order to improve the quality of the spirit of togetherness, belonging and fellowship in ensuring the objective of unifying One Ummah is more effectively achieved.
3. The concept of kinship and unity set by Rasulullah (PBUH) at the start of the hijrah was holistic without regard for heritage, skin colour or status. At the time, the community of Madinah comprised diverse ethnic groups and faiths, living peacefully and harmoniously, guided by the Constitution of Madinah that focuses on unity and upholds Islam as a religion, social justice for all and protecting minority groups as well as ensuring freedom to practice all faiths to non-Muslims under the administration of the state of Madinah.
4. The spirit of Hijrah is fitting with the 1Malaysia Concept, which is a continuation of its precursor in reinforcing unity among the rakyat. This concept is forged upon core values, centred upon social justice, the principle of acceptance and honouring the diversity of the nation’s society. In other words, we must continuously set the interests of the rakyat and country above others for the sake of mutual prosperity.
5. By and large, as we have enjoyed 52 years of independence, the greatest challenge we have seen in the pursuit of development, prosperity, and harmony among ethnic groups is unity. Ironically, unity can be fostered beyond political boundaries for the sake of the nation. Success does not come easy, rather it calls for a high spirit of hijrah, loyalty and perseverance. We had completed our agenda of migrating economically from an agriculture-based economy to industry, now we perform another hijrah to a new economic model based on innovation, creativity and high added value. This is done to guarantee an economic transformation to spur Malaysia towards becoming a high-income nation in a holistic and sustainable manner, prioritising innovation and ensuring competitive relevance in the global economy.
6. Hence, let us unite in spirit and determination. Let us commit to a hijrah to always perform better whatever our roles may be, as a leader, government or rakyat. Nevertheless, what remains important is to manage success and fortify the Ummah by sowing and nurturing the sense of togetherness. Be mindful of the pages of history, full of documented successes until Malaysia now appears as one of the most advanced, dynamic and progressive developing nations in the world. The formula to this success is the unity factor amongst the rakyat of diverse ethnicity and belief based upon the concept of Wasatiyah by accepting pluralism as a source of strength.
7. To conclude, whichever definition of hijrah fits our perspective, what matters is not to dwell upon past successes without striving to create new milestones and pioneering new innovations. It can only be acquired through a value-added migration towards higher innovation and from common unity to One Ummah unity. My family and I extend our 1431H Maal Hijrah wishes to all Muslims of Malaysia wherever they may be. May we all be able to celebrate Maal Hijrah among friends of different faiths and races through the spirit of Hijrah that bolsters unity and underscores justice.
Wabillahi Taufik Walhidayah Wassalamu’alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,