News_archive

Mumbai Terrorists Using Malaysian Address Just a Claim – Najib

By Sunday November 30th, 2008 No Comments

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 1 (Bernama) — Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said it was unsubstantiated claim that the terrorists who mounted armed attacks in Mumbai last week had links with Malaysia following their use of a Malaysian address.

He said Malaysian police would ask for Interpol’s assistance to get details on the allegation as reported by the Indian media.

“It’s an unsubstantiated claim. We will contact Interpol for confirmation on the matter and we will issue a follow-up statement. As for now, there is no proof to the claim,” he said after a meeting of the National Economic Council at parliament building today.

The Indian media had reported that some of the militant gunmen involved in the rampage and siege in Mumbai had used a Malaysian address to rent an apartment unit in the populous city.

In the three-day attacks from Wednesday by the militants in 10 strategic locations in Mumbai, at least 195 people were killed and 295 others injured.

Najib said the main working paper on crime situation in the country was also tabled at the NEC meeting chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

He said tabling of the paper was in light of the state of confidence among the public, expecially tourists and those in the business sector, in the country’s security situation.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan briefed the council on the crime situation with Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar also present.

Najib said at the meeting, a message was conveyed to the Royal Malaysian Police that the public expected the police to be more effective in their role.

“It does not mean that the police are not seriously carrying out their responsibilities. But there are things that need to be improved to enhance the image of the police force, hence increasing public confidence in the force and the country’s security situation.”

Najib who is also Umno deputy president, however, declined to comment when asked about the candidate for the Kuala Terengganu parliamentary seat by-election following the death of its MP Datuk Razali Ismail last Friday.

On calls by several quarters for stern action, including sacking from the party, on former minister in the prime minister’s department Datuk Zaid Ibrahim, Najib said it was up to the Umno Supreme Council to decide.

Zaid was criticised for attending the opening of the Parti Keadilan Rakyat’s national congress in Shah Alam, Selangor recently.

Source: Bernama

Leave a Reply