KUALA LUMPUR: There seems to be a “major breakthrough” in the request for increase in non-Malay recruitment in the civil service, Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr. S. Subramaniam said.
He said the matter was decided in a meeting with Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan, Public Service Commission chairman Tan Sri Jamaluddin Ahmad Damanhuri and Public Service Department director-general Tan Sri Ismail Adam in Putrajaya on Friday.
“A memo will be issued (by the commission) on the matter soon. Let’s wait for the memo,” Dr Subramaniam, who is the MIC secretary-general, said on Saturday when pressed further on the decision.
It is expected that the decision will be discussed at the Cabinet Committee for Indian Development meeting to be chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on Feb 23.
The MIC had requested that at least 8% of civil servants be Indians.
MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu was quoted recently saying that the number of Indians hired as civil servants fluctuated between 3.5% and less than 5% annually.
He was also puzzled over a news report last December saying that that non-Malays, especially Indians, were not interested in government jobs.
The report claimed that of the 486,802 applications to work in the civil service in 2007, Chinese and Indians only accounted for 1.78% and 2.5% respectively.
It quoted Ismail saying that the situation was difficult to change although the PSD had been trying to reduce the gap between the races in the civil service.
The MCA, too, has called on the Government to increase the recruitment of Chinese into the civil service.
Source : The Star