News_archive

1Malaysia E-mail A Private Sector Initiative, Says Najib

By Wednesday April 20th, 2011 No Comments

IPOH, April 20 (Bernama) — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said that the 1Malaysia e-mail project is a purely private sector initiative without any public sector involvement.

“Participation is voluntary and people are free to opt out of the programme,” he told reporters after launching the Malaysian Unit Trust Week here Wednesday.

He explained that the initiative had been evaluated by the Performance Management and Delivery Unit (PEMANDU) and announced as one of seven new projects under the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP).

Under the proposed scheme, Malaysians aged 18 and above will each be assigned an e-mail account.

Najib had said that the initiative would allow direct and secure communication between Malaysians and the government, and enhance the delivery of government services to consumers and businesses alike.

It was reported that Tricubes Bhd would spearhead the RM50 million investment which also includes the development of a web portal as a one-stop centre for government services, providing value-added services such as social networking, checking bills online and payments.

Certain parties have questioned the initiative, with some of them seeking clarification over the status of the company and the use of public funds.

Explaining the matter Tuesday, PEMANDU said the government would not fund the e-mail scheme and that it was not compulsory for Malaysians.

“It’s a private sector-driven initiative led by Tricubes, with investments from the private sector, not the government,” it said.

Source : Bernama

Leave a Reply